08.30 Depart by bus to Mexichem mine and plant
09.45 Mine/plant induction briefing and tour
14.00 Lunch & Tour at Centro de las Artes, SLP
17.00 Depart for hotel
18.00 Arrive hotel

*subject to change

Lunch venue web

Lunch venue: Centro de las Artes

Construction of the building of the Center of the Arts, initially a penitentiary until the 1990s, began in 1884 and was finished in 1904.

It was planned in neoclassical style by the architect Veracruz Carlos Suárez Fiallo during the government of Carlos Diez Gutiérrez, who ruled the state of San Luis Potosí from 1877 to 1880.

The prison was designed with individual cells and surveillance towers where prisoners could be monitored without detection.

In 1910, months before the Mexican Revolution, Francisco I. Madero, the Mexican revolutionary, writer, and presidential candidate, was imprisoned in the then San Luis Potosí Penitentiary by President Porfirio Díaz, who accused him of having conspired against him. A few months later, Madero managed to escape to the USA, drew up the Plan of San Luis de Potosí which triggered the Mexican Revolution; Madero went on to govern Mexico as its 33rd President.

p1030383-crop-web-large

Mexichem operates the world’s largest fluorspar mine at San Luis Potosí, exploiting some 60m. tonnes of reserves with a mine capacity of 6,500 tpd.

Mexichem Fluor, part of the Mexichem Group, is the largest producer of fluorspar in the world, and a leading producer of fluorine-based products to a wide range of industries, including pharmaceuticals, automotive, speciality polymers, refrigeration and air-conditioning.

Mexichem also produces hydrofluoric acid, aluminium trifluoride, HFC refrigerants and medical HFA propellants.

p1030433-web-large

p1030446-web-large

Fluorspar, which is also known as calcium fluoride (CaF2), is the key building block in the production of many essential products including fluorocarbons.

The raw mineral is crushed and separated into a range of sizes for sale as metallurgical grade fluorspar. This grade of fluorspar is used primarily as a flux in the production of steel and cement.

The raw mineral is further purified through a flotation process to generate acid grade fluorspar. This grade of fluorspar is used as a key raw material in the production of hydrogen fluoride, the precursor for a wide range of products.

p1030451-web-large

Please wear clothing and footwear as befits an industrial site visit