Field Trip – CMP Guizhou bauxite mine & plant

China Mineral Processing Ltd (CMP), based in Tanggu, Tianjin, is one of China’s leading refractory mineral processors and traders, and one of the main producers of calcined bauxite, the essential refractory mineral exported by China to world refractory markets.

Guizhou is one of the two main refractory grade bauxite producing provinces of China (the other is Shanxi). CMP has just brought on stream a new natural gas-fired bauxite calcination plant at Xiuwen, Guizhou – one of the few major calcined bauxite producers surviving the recent Chinese bauxite plant closures owing to environmental controls.

Forum delegates will have the opportunity to visit this facility on Wednesday 13 September.

Itinerary

Wednesday 12 September

Post-conference flight departures from Shanghai to Guiyang:

We advise delegates to select 16.30 (preferable) or 17.10 flights (in bold below)

SHA Shanghai Hongqui Airport (30min by car from conference hotel)
PVG Shanghai Pudong Airport (50min by car from conference hotel)
KWE Guiyang Airport
Flight duration 2.40-2.50 hrs

China Eastern
16:30PVG
19:20KWE
Air China
21:00SHA
23:40KWE
Spring Airlines
17:10SHA
19:50KWE
Shanghai Airlines
21:35PVG
00:25+1KWE
China Southern
19:40PVG
22:30KWE
China Southern
22:15PVG
00:55+1KWE

Transport from Guiyang airport to Renaissance Guiyang Hotel

21.00 Dinner in hotel

Hotel

Renaissance Guiyang Hotel | No. 8 Lincheng East Road, Guanshanhu District, Guiyang, China | Hotel website

Thursday 13 September

08.00 Depart hotel Guiyang

09.00 Arrive CMP calcination plant, Xiu Wen

10.00 Depart plant for CMP bauxite mine

11.00 Arrive mine for tour

12.30 Arrive restaurant for CMP hosted lunch

14.00 Finish lunch and depart for Guiyang airport (KWE)

15.00 Arrive Guiyang airport (KWE).

Please note: flights (most appropriate advised above) to be arranged/paid for by delegates, hotel also to be paid for by delegates, but hotel booking will be made by CMP after registration confirmed; dinner/lunch, transport to/from CMP mine & plant included in registration fee.

CMP’s mine in Xiuwen, Guizhou province, exploiting a deposit of some 3m tonnes bauxite reserves through open pit and a single adit, has been in operation since June 2012, producing 100-200,000 tpa non-metallurgical grade bauxite.

In Q3 2017, CMP secured required permits and geared up for supplying the market with calcined bauxite in early 2018. Two containers of bauxite were delivered in September 2017 to Europe for testing.

Early February 2018 saw CMP start up its new calcination plant utilising both high pressure shaft and rotary kilns located near its bauxite mine in Xiuwen, near Guiyang, Guizhou province.

The Xiuwen rotary kiln produces 85-90% Al2O3 lump and long term output is envisaged at 8,000-10,000 tpm. The lump bauxite will be transported to CMP Tianjin in bulk for crushing and also to south China ports for export in lumps.

CMP Guizhou plant crop

IMFORMED reports on China’s bauxite supply (click on titles below):

China’s refractory minerals crisis: dark days of the Dog continue

Dog days ahead for Chinese mineral consumers

China minerals meltdown

Return flight options Thurs 13 Sept.

Air China
17:15KWE
19:50PVG
Juneayo Airlines
20:15KWE
22:45SHA